by Greg Flores, Chef
Greg Flores studied culinary arts at The California Culinary Academy in San Francisco. Upon graduation, Greg worked his way up from Extern to Sous Chef at Cate Marcella, a four star restaurant in Los Gatos, California. After a brief time as Executive Chef at Bethany College, Greg is now back in Los Gatos as one of the chefs at Three Degrees in The Toll House Hotel.
The acidity of the BARGETTO Zinfandel compliments the fire roasted tomatoes in this hearty soup.
2 Italian eggplants, peeled and diced (1/4 inch)
4 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 14.5 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
4 T. butter, unsalted
1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup carrot, chopped
1 T. fresh thyme
1 T. garlic, minced
1/2 cup Bargetto Zinfandel
6 cup stock (chicken or vegetable)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Toss diced eggplant with extra vigin olive oil.
3. Place on sheet pan and roast for 12 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and let cool at room temperature.
5. In an 8 quart stock pot over medium high heat add butter.
6. Add onion, carrot, thyme, garlic and sweat for 8 minutes.
7. Add fire roasted tomatoes and roasted eggplant.
8. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
9. Deglaze with Bargetto Zinfandel.
10. After wine is reduced by 75 % add stock and bring to a boil.
11. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
12. Carefully place soup in blender or food processor, 1 cup at a time, and puree.
13. Place pureed soup back in stock pot and return to a simmer.
14. If the soup is too thick, add more stock or water. If the soup is to thin, let it reduce until the proper consistency. Enjoy!
Serves 4 as first course