by: Patricia Ballard, Senior wine Counselor (retired)
4 skirt steaks, trimmed
2 small shallots, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
3/4 cup. BARGETTO California Cabernet Sauvignon*
3 T. butter
2 T. finely chopped parsley
1 T. olive oil
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
1 T. Chef Luigi Red Wine Vinegar
salt and freshly ground pepper
*A big, rich Zinfandel may be substituted for the Cabernet
1. Choose a heavy skillet large enough to hold the steaks in one layer.
2. Heat skillet until hot. Add oil.
3. Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper.
4. Add the steaks side by side and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until thoroughly browned on one side.
5. Turn and continue to cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
6. Transfer the steaks to a warm platter and keep warm.
7. Wipe skillet clean with paper towels.
8. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in the skillet and add shallots, garlic, and thyme.
9. Cook until shallots are wilted.
10. Add vinegar and cook briefly.
11. Add Cabernet and continue to cook until liquid is reduced to half.
12. Swirl in remaining butter and parsley. Adjust seasonings to taste.
13. Pour sauce over steaks and serve at once.