by: Greg Flores, Chef
Greg Flores studied culinary arts at The California Culinary Academy in San Francisco. Upon graduation, Greg worked his way up from Extern to Sous Chef at Cate Marcella, a four star restaurant in Los Gatos, California. Greg has worked at several other restaurants in the Los Gatos area and is currently the Executive Sous Chef at The California Cafe.
4- 7oz filet mignon
4 T unsalted butter
½ t minced shallots
½ t. minced garlic
½ t. fresh rosemary (removed from stem and chopped)
1 large Portobello mushroom (stem and gills removed, cut into ¼ inch pieces)
1/8 c. BARGETTO Reserve Merlot
2 c. heavy cream
1 c. chicken or vegetable stock
salt & pepper to taste
1. Melt butter in a 3 qt. pot over medium high heat.
2. Add shallots, garlic, rosemary, and mushroom and sauté for 8 min.
3. Add wine and let simmer for 5 min.
4. Add cream and bring to a boil.
5. Add stock and bring to a boil.
6. Carefully remove sauce from heat and place in blender or food processor, 1 cup at a time, and puree.
7. Place sauce back in pot over med low heat. If the sauce is too thick, add more stock or water. If the sauce is to thin, let it reduce until the proper consistency.
8. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over grilled filet mignon, with mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables.